The European Union created the Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS), for citizens of countries that are currently exempt from a visa to visit the Schengen Areacomprising 26 European countries that have abolished internal border controls.
With this, it is sought that the ETIAS permit contribute to the security of European borders, because this permit will facilitate the identification of possible threats and risks associated with people who are going to make a trip to any of the countries in the area.
The ETIAS permit will be mandatory to enter the member countries of the Schengen Area from the end of 2022this will not modify the free traffic, but it will be a mandatory requirement.
Besides, will grant travelers the necessary authorization to visit the 26 countries. With this permit, tourists will be able to enter any of these territories, do tourism or business, only if they have the ETIAS permit.
The ETIAS authorization is designed for short trips that can last up to 90 days, and it was created for 60 countries that need to request it. Among these are Colombia, Argentina, Chile, the United States, Mexico, Peru, among others.
It should be noted that, so far, travelers with Colombian passports can visit all Schengen member countries without having to apply for a visa. This for those who have short stays of up to 90 days.
Currently, Colombian citizens are only required to carry a valid passport to be able to visit the countries of the Schengen zone.. However, starting in the second part of 2022, once ETIAS is fully operational, Colombians will also need to apply for ETIAS authorization.
This electronic authorization will be mandatory for people visiting Europe from visa-exempt countries.
To carry out the ETIAS process, it is important to have the following documents at hand:
- A Colombian passport, with a remaining validity of more than 3 months after the intended stay
- A current email to receive the approved ETIAS authorization in digital format
- A valid debit or credit card to pay the ETIAS visa waiver fee
- In addition, they must complete the following information:
- Colombian passport data, including the expiration date of the passport. If the passport is nearing its expiration date, the traveler must renew the passport before enrolling in the ETIAS
- Valid contact details and a physical address
- Details about the health of the traveler and information about their travel plans
It should be noted that this request is made online quickly and easily through your cell phone or personal computer.
Eye, It is important to carefully review all information entered on the form for accuracy. Any errors or inconsistencies in the information may delay the processing time or, in some cases, may result in ETIAS denial.
Once the process is finished and it has been approved, the European visa waiver for Colombian citizens is sent to the citizen’s email address.